Sometimes, an item is out of stock, or a customer changes their mind after they’ve already placed their order — when that happens, what is a dealer to do? Thankfully, exchanging a product within an order is pretty simple. Follow these steps to complete your exchange with ease!
Edit the order
- Go to Manage Orders - Located at the top of the Fulfill section
- Click on the customer’s order number
- Click on Edit, located on the left-hand side under the Actions section
- Click on the Products tab
Remove the product
- Click the checkbox labeled Remove to the far right of the product you wish to remove
- Once all items are selected, click the green Update button
Add product to order
- To the right of the Products in order section is the Add products to order section. This is where the exchanged item will be selected.
- Click on the name of the product that will be added
- Select the desired quantity, size, and color
- Click Add to Cart
If there is no difference in price, click the green Save & Return button in the upper right corner. The exchange is complete!
If there is a difference in the price of the products being exchanged, there will be an amount in the Total Due row. The amount will be positive if the customer owns money and negative if they are due a refund.
The next steps are to process the charge or refund.
- Click the Charges & refunds tab
- Depending on the edits that were made, there will either be an amount in the New charge or New credit card refund box. In this example, the customer owes $43. In the box labeled New charge, there is an amount for $43
- Add a Description (optional)
- Select a Payment Method (you can choose the Credit Card that was used for the initial order, check or cash)
- Click Submit charge – you will get a message when complete
- Click blue OK button
Note - The amounts in the New Charge or Refund fields cannot be edited – these amounts will generate based on the edits made to the order.
Your exchange and charge/refund is complete! A new receipt will generate for this order. The receipt can be found on the order’s overview, below the Billing Information.
Pro Tip: Just processed a refund? Be sure to tell the customer that depending on their bank it may take 5-10 business days to post.
Editing Product Details
If you need to add, remove, or change product details for a product in an order, what you'll want to do is edit the order, go to the Products tab, and follow these steps:
- Click on the product's name to edit it.
- Adjust the options as needed.
- Click "Add to Cart" (this will add a duplicate product to the order with the new options in place).
- When you return to the Products tab, make sure to delete the older version of the product.
- Click Update at the bottom of the Products tab.